Lately I’ve been exploring the world of low carb eating and my body is thanking me for it. Less gluten and less carbohydrates has meant more veggies, proteins and more strength and energy!
This recipe was a total success when I first tried it and it’s totally vegan friendly (but I’ve added the swaps you can make to make it non-vegan but still low carb.) As always, just be conscious of where your ingredients are coming from and try to support organic and sustainable products and producers.
Zucchini Lasagna (Meat free, No pasta, Keto friendly)
You will need:
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 medium sized onion, minced
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 packet quorn mince or vegan mince of choice (may use beef if you’re making this recipe non-vegan)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- A pinch of mixed herbs/herbs de province
- A pinch of oregano
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 3 tbsp olive oil/butter
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Vegan cheddar cheese (or regular cheddar if going non-vegan)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and slice the zucchini lengthwise, about a centimetre wide and place on a chopping board. Sprinkle some salt on one side of each slice and let it sit for 10 minutes. This will allow some water in the zucchini to come to the surface so that your lasagna is not unnecessarily watery. Pat the slices dry with a clean kitchen towel
- Sauté the onions in a pan with some olive oil for 1-2 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the quorn or vegan mince and cook for about 5 minutes
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, mixed herbs and oregano
- Add a little bit of hot water to the bottom of the tomato tin and pour that into your pan too
- Cook for about 10 minutes until some of the water has evaporated and your mince is nicely fragrant and fully cooked
- Taste for salt and pepper
- To make the béchamel (white sauce), heat the oil in a pan
- Add the flour and cook until well combined
- Gradually add the milk, whisking to ensure there are no lumps (if you can’t seem to get rid of the lumps, blend everything in a blender until smooth and then put it back on the stove, whisking continuously).
- Add the nutmeg, some salt and pepper.
- Let it thicken.
- To assemble, layer some of the meat mince at bottom
- Add a layer of zucchini
- Add a layer of béchamel sauce
- Add another layer of mince
- Top with a final layer of zucchini
- Cover with the remainder of the béchamel sauce
- Sprinkle generously with the cheese
- Cook in a preheated oven on 180ºC for about 30 minutes or until a knife cuts through the zucchini layers easily and the cheese is melted.
Sit back, grab some Oreos, and I can’t wait to see what life has to offer us next!