This is definitely one of the quickest and easiest vegan recipes I’ve ever made! You can fill these boats with all of your favourite veggies and remix them with your favourite blend of spices to make it your own.
Here is my take on some delicious rice and veggie stuffed eggplant and zucchini boats!
Stuffed Eggplant and Zucchini boats
You will need:
- 1 eggplant
- 1 zucchini
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1 cube vegetable stock
- A handful of baby corn
- A handful of spring beans
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Half a large onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- garlic and ginger paste (optional)
- olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
How to put it all together:
- Slice your eggplant and zucchini in half and carefully remove the insides keeping them in a separate bowl to use later. Put your veggie boats back in the fridge to keep them fresh while you prepare the rest
- In a pot, dissolve your veg stock in about 400ml of boiling water and pour in your rice. Cook until all the water is absorbed and the rice is soft and fluffy
- Chop the onions into small cubes and mince the garlic
- Chop up all your veggies, including the insides of the eggplant and zucchini
- Heat some olive oil in a pan, and when hot, sauté the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes
- Add your veggies to the pan, including the mixed herbs and ginger and garlic paste
- At this point, cover a baking tray with some kitchen foil, take your veggie boats and coat each one with some olive oil and place them on the tray
- Put them in the oven for 15 minutes at 180º
- Once your rice is cooked, add it to the pan with the veggies and stir well
- Add in your tomato paste and soy sauce, mixing well to combine everything
- Taste for salt and pepper
- Remove your boats from the oven, filling each half with some of your rice mixture
- Put them back in the oven for another 15 minutes
- When they’re ready, take them out and sprinkle them with some cheese (vegan cheese or otherwise)
- Put your boats back in the oven just until the cheese has melted
- Take your delicious veggie boats out of the oven and enjoy!
I hope you have as much fun making and eating these as I did! They’re super healthy and they’re one of those awesome recipes you can alter with different fillings especially if you’re cooking for vegans and non-vegans. They’re quick to make and are best eaten the same day.
Sit back, grab some of your delicious veggie boats, and I can’t wait to see what life has to offer us next!