I love to try putting together different bits from different recipes to suit my taste buds. I think it’s safe to say that one of our favourite things growing up is a good Spaghetti with Bolognese sauce and although this isn’t quite the same, it’s a healthy and delicious take on the classic meatball.
Vegan Spaghetti and Meat Balls
For the Meatballs, you will need:
- 1 tin green lentils
- 1 onion (diced finely)
- 1 clove garlic (diced)
- 3 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- salt and pepper
For the veggie tomato sauce you will need:
- olive oil
- 1 eggplant/courgette/capsicum or all three for an amazing mix of veggies
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 tsp garlic paste / 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 tbs mixed herbs
- 1 cube veg stock dissolved in 100ml boiled water
How to cook it all:
- Prepare (cook in boiling water and drain) pasta of your choice (preferably wholewheat and eggless if you’re going for 100% vegan).
- Drain and wash the lentils. In a mixing bowl, mash up the lentils with the onions and garlic. Add the breadcrumbs, mixed herbs and mix well. Add some salt and pepper to taste. (You could always add extra veggies into the ‘meatballs’, maybe some sweetcorn, peas or diced mushrooms, but you may have to add some extra breadcrumbs so the mixture is not too moist and so it sticks together well)
- Shape the meatballs as desired and place them in an oven-proof dish coated with some olive oil. (As a side note: I also use the same recipe for veggie burger patties because it’s super easy and goes so well with an onion and tomato sauce in a soft burger bun!)
- Place them in the oven for 20 minutes at 180 degrees or until the meatballs are slightly golden brown. Be sure to flip them around gently halfway through cooking so they brown on both sides. When they’re done place them aside until your pasta and sauce are done.
- Chop up the eggplant, courgette and capsicum into bite-sized pieces and grill in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- To make the sauce, heat some olive oil in a pan and sauté the onions, garlic and mixed herbs in the oil. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes and after about 2 minutes add the dissolved veg stock. Let simmer until about half of the water has evaporated and then turn off the heat. Add some salt and pepper.
- Add the grilled veggies to the sauce. Add the mix to the pasta and give it a good mix.
- Serve your pasta with the sauce and top with three or four of your veggie meatballs and dig in!!
Being vegan doesn’t require super fancy ingredients and yes its fun to experiment with different things, but sometimes the things you’ll want to eat and the things you’ll enjoy eating are deceptively simple.
Sit back, grab some Oreos, and let’s see what life has to offer us next.