One of my favourite things to do is to experiment with simple vegan ingredients to make adaptations of much-loved foods from various cultures. I absolutely love Asian Cuisine so this time around I made an Asian inspired Tofu Stir Fry.
For this recipe, I found some inspiration on Pinterest and adapted something that was non-vegan, and replaced the meat element with some delicious tofu.
Tofu is one of those ingredients that is so easy to cook with if you know how to infuse it with flavour. Follow the instructions below to prep your tofu to give it a ‘meaty’ texture.
Then you’ll be able to use it in any recipe that calls for pork, beef or chicken and you won’t even tell the difference!
Garlic Veg & Tofu Stir Fry
You will need:
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 8-10 pods garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ketchup
- A handful of mushrooms
- A handful of string beans
- A small pack of baby corn
- 1 capsicum
- 1 block of firm tofu
- A pinch of red chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Put it all together:
- Chop up the capsicum, mushrooms, string beans and baby corn into small bite-sized pieces and keep aside for later.
- Drain the tofu between two kitchen towels and slice it thinly into strips.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, gently lay your tofu strips in the pan and cook until golden brown. Flip the strips over to brown both sides but be gentle because otherwise, you may mash the tofu up before its had time to crisp
- In a bowl, mix the vinegar, soy sauces and ketchup together to make the base for your sauce. You may want to double the measurements if you have more veggies.
- Once the tofu is golden brown, remove them from the pan and keep aside.
- Return the pan to the heat with the rest of the olive oil and add the garlic. When it starts to be aromatic, add the onions
- When the onions have softened, add the veggies and sauteé for a few minutes.
- At the last minute, add the tofu and the sauce and let it cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the fire and serve with some rice or some noodles!
Sit back, grab some Oreos and let’s see what life has to offer us next!