One of my go-to recipes for a cold evening at home is a warm and hearty coconut curry. The spicy kick of this coconut curry really hits the spot and all of the super yummy veggies makes it both filling and very healthy!
Aubergine & Lentil Coconut Curry
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less based on how spicy you want it)
- 1 can (15-ounces) light coconut milk
- 2 2/3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- quinoa or brown rice
Put it all together:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Chop the eggplant into medium pieces, and cook in the oven for about 15 mins while you prep the other ingredients
- Heat a large pot over medium heat with olive oil.
- Add the onion, garlic and carrots and saute until the onions start to turn brown and translucent.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven
- Add the chopped eggplant, mushroom, tomatoes, turmeric, ginger and red pepper flakes to the pot and saute until the mushrooms get nice and soft
- Add the lentils, coconut milk and vegetable broth and stir.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce heat, cover with a lid and simmer for about 10 mins
- Add the kale, stir and cook, uncovered for an additional 5 minutes.
- Taste and add salt if you think it needs it
- Serve with quinoa or brown rice!
Want to see another super yummy Aubergine Recipe? Check out this Aubergine and Spinach Lasagna with vegan bechamel!
Sit back, grab some Oreos and I can’t wait to see what life has to offer us next!