I would never tell anyone to go vegan because I believe that this has to be an educated choice you make on your own. One thing I tell everyone I meet, however, is to embrace your sense of curiosity. It’s possible to incorporate some simple and delicious vegan recipes into your meal plans for the week without feeling like you’ve made a crazy lifestyle change.
Vegan Mushroom & Spinach Alfredo
When I decided that being vegan was something I wanted to try, I knew that I wasn’t quite ready to let go of some of my favourite things in life, one of which is creamy carb loaded pasta, the kind that leaves you feeling almost sick but oh so very satisfied.
I had to find the perfect substitute for a white sauce with double cream, butter and dairy milk. I scoured the internet until I found bits from a few places that I could put together to make my perfect vegan alfredo sauce.
This recipe tastes just as rich and creamy as the dairy-filled version and is just that extra bit healthier.
Don’t believe me? Give it a go.
You will need:
- olive oil
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 8-12 ounces of mushrooms of your choice, sliced
- 300g baby spinach
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp flour
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Eggless pasta of your choice.
How to make your creamy sauce:
- Soak your cashews in lukewarm water for a few hours (1/2 cup cashews to 1 cup water)
- Blend your cashews and the water in a blender until it’s smooth and milky
- Pass your cashew milk through a sieve to lighten it
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan on medium heat
- Add the flour and mix with the oil for about 1 minute until the flour has dissolved
- Slowly add your cashew milk, whisking constantly
- Add the lemon juice and a bit of salt and continue to whisk until its creamy
- You can let the sauce sit on low heat while you cut up the other ingredients but don’t forget to stir once in a while.
Prepare your veggies and pasta:
- Heat another 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a separate pan.
- Add the onions, garlic, mixed herbs, mushrooms and sauté until soft.
- Add your spinach and sauté until your spinach has wilted
- Boil your pasta in the meantime
Mix it all together!
- When your pasta is cooked, add it in with your creamy sauce.
- Add your mushroom & spinach mix to the sauce
- Stir well, adding some salt and pepper to taste.
- You may want to add some boiling water this point if the sauce thickens too much.
Sit back, indulge in the creamiest mushroom pasta ever, and let’s see what life has to offer us next.