Everywhere we look, there is stark evidence of one of the planet’s biggest problems: single-use plastic. This basically refers to things like straws, plastic shopping bags, water bottles, and most food packaging. We use them once, chuck them in the bin and they’re out of our lives forever.
Little do we know (or rather we know but choose to ignore) the fact that this same plastic will be around to haunt our great grandchildren 450 years from now.
You can’t huff and puff when you hear in the news that sea life is dying if you go to the shops and continuously ask for plastic carrier bags when it costs you nothing to bring your own from home.
I know that the little man cannot control the polluting effects of the multimillion pound companies. And I know that sometimes we don’t do it with bad intentions. We’ll use that tiny little plastic straw or we’ll throw away that tiny piece of cling film. We don’t think about it most of the time. But we should because it’s the little things that make the biggest differences.
If 100,000 little people paid attention to their little bit and took the initiative to stop using plastic then the demand for plastic would go down and, if my math is correct, that would result in quite a big bit of change.
One way of starting your journey towards a sustainable lifestyle is by making the swap to bamboo toothbrushes.
Gone are the days of colourful plastic toothbrushes that end up heaven knows where causing destruction on this earth for the next hundred years.
We’re going back to basics now, with natural, biodegradable and eco-friendly bamboo toothbrushes.
Why you should make the swap to Bamboo Toothbrushes:
- Most wooden toothbrushes are made from Moso Bamboo, which is a type of grass whose shoots can grow up to a meter in a day so the supply of material for the toothbrushes isn’t depleting
- It contains natural antibacterial properties and is harvested without pesticides or fertilizer so production is leaving a much lower carbon footprint
- In terms of getting the job done, it feels exactly the same as ‘regular’ plastic toothbrushes
- Over 5 billion plastic toothbrushes a year end up in rubbish heaps and in the oceans. It’s irresponsible of us mankind to just throw them out and without having any care about what happens to them. With wooden toothbrushes you know they’ll simply degrade back into the earth and all will be well.
- Once you start you’d have broken the habit of buying horrible plastic toothbrushes and the world will be a better place for it.
Where to find your Bamboo Toothbrushes:
Thankfully, the number of brands, big and small that are producing and selling bamboo toothbrushes is gradually increasing! Be proactive and do a little research to support the small brands in your area that are trying to make a difference. In London, I get my toothbrushes from…
By Olive (shipment to UK & selected European Countries)
From the online store By Olive you can either buy single toothbrushes and test them out, or buy their pack of 4 for £4.95, which means you’ll only have to buy toothbrushes once a year and can simply swap to the next number in the pack every three months! They ship within the UK and to some countries in Europe including the Netherlands, France and Belgium! If you input the code ‘vanillavadz’ at checkout, you’ll even get a 10% discount on your order!
The Vegan Kind Supermarket (Uk and International Shipping)
Another great option is The Vegan Kind Supermarket which ships all over the world, with prices starting from £2.95. They’ve got toothbrush sets specifically for adults and for children in both medium and soft bristles. You have no excuse why you can’t order your stock of bamboo toothbrushes and begin living your best sustainable lives!
Hopefully, this trend will become a household habit until one day we get rid of plastic toothbrushes altogether and we can live in a world where we’re not worrying about our waste destroying habitats and killing wildlife.
Sit back, grab some Oreos, and let’s see what life has to offer us next.